AlyGatr’s Everywhere. I love her blog. She always manages to put a smile on my face. She was writing to let me know she’d passed the Kreative Blogger award to me. How nice was that?
I’ve received blog awards a couple of times before and it always makes me feel so good. Honestly, I can’t believe people read, never mind enjoy reading, what I have to say. So it’s truly an honor. Thanks Alyssa. Oh! And if you don’t read AlyGatr’s Everywhere, have never caught up with Alyssa at The Mamadramalogues, or checked out her shop…well, you should.
Now for the hard part…. As the recipient of this award, I have to share 7 things about me that you might not know. Coming up with 7 things you don’t know about me is a little challenging, because, well, because I’m always going on and on and on about myself and my life. But here goes:
1. I hate fruit. Yep, all fruit. Don’t like any of it. Nope, not strawberries, not apples, not bananas – Ooooo, ick! Especially not bananas.
2. As a little girl, I wanted to be a lounge singer…and as a matter of fact, I still want to be a lounge singer.
3. I get all choked up watching the Tinkerbell movie. I know, lame, lame, lame. Can't help it. Whe she puts that little music box back together.... And when she gets to go to the mainland, and Pixie-Dust Fairy Boy gives her that little purse full of pixie dust.... And when she leaves the little music box on Wendy's window sill.... Oh god! Here come the waterworks. So embarassing!
OK, enough of that, back to business.
4. I can drink my weight in beer. (There, that ought to make up for the Tinkerbell thing.) I really try not to do this anymore. Although every now and then I like to confirm that I still can – which could explain a little about why I was searching for a hangover cure a week ago.
5. I am obsessed with laundry. I can not stand to see stains on things and have been known to spend hours researching how to get a particular stain out of something. (And yes, I have a pretty good list compiled, if anyone’s interested.)
6. I am absolutely terrified that my 3yo daughter (Ladybug) already realizes that I have no real control over her.
7. I believe in magic. Not the ‘pull-a-rabbit-out-of-your-hat’ kind of magic, but the ‘cosmic-convergence’ kind of magic. Like when somebody spills their drink at a ball game, bends down to make sure it’s not soaking your purse and misses the pop-fly so you get to catch the souvenir ball. THAT kind of magic.
And now for the TRULY hard part – picking 7 other bloggers to share the award with. This really is difficult. I read a lot of blogs and I only read blogs I love, of course. I could pick a lot more than 7, but here are 7 that I’m really loving at the moment:
1. Garden Mama - beautiful photos and great ideas
2. Grass Stain Guru - exaulting the pleasures of playing outside
3. I Don’t Like This Job - a brave mama who's not afraid to blog about the crappiness of stay-at-home-motherhood. I worry about her sometimes, but it's good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't just love life with the little kidos.
4. When T Rules the World - really, she should rule the world.
5. One Pretty Thing - round up after round up of pretty things to look at, and pretty things to do.
6. Absolutely Small - the exploits of Chicken Pants. Now who can resist that?
7. Kind Over Matter - they need another blog award like they need a hole in the head, I'm sure. There's just so much kindness going on over there, I feel compelled to spread it around a little. If you haven't checked them out, do it now. It'll make you happy.
Whew! That was a hard list to cull down. It’d probably be a completely different list tomorrow, but that’ the list for today.
Here are the Rules to Pay it Forward (If you want to participate):
1. Copy/paste the Kreativ Blogger Award picture onto your blog
2. Thank the person who awarded it to you and post a link to her/his blog
3. Write 7 things about yourself we might not know
4. Choose 7 other bloggers to award
5. Link to them
6. Notify your 7 bloggers of their awards
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
In an effort to keep the TV turned off, we’ve been spending our time on Valentine’s projects. We’re in the process of all kinds of things. That’s right – we’re starters. We just LOVE to start stuff. We don’t always finish it, but who was it that said ‘it’s not the destination, it’s the journey’? Well, we’ve really been having a lot of fun with this stuff. So much so, that I’ve decided to share it with the world. So in the weeks leading up to Valentine’s day, I’m going to be sharing it here.
Over the weekend we finished Valentine’s gifts for the teachers and Grandmas. And no, I’m not one of those moms who gives the teachers gifts for every Hallmark holiday. But give me a break! I’ve been stuck at home crafting with the kiddos. Anyway, we made these fun little Valentine’s pendants. Ladybug & Buddy Boy used plastic beads. I got to play with the Swarovskys. I’m not much of a beader, but these were fun. The kids love wearing theirs around and dangling them in the windows to watch the light shatter. We ended up with a few extra, so I’m putting them in the FlutterbyGirly shop. If you know someone looking for a sparkly Valentine’s gift, send them my way.
It was actually Buddy Boy's idea to put the extras in the shop, and I promised I’d give him all the profits as a reward for his entrepreneurial spirit. In return, he's promised to indulge me with chocolate and flowers. He’s planning on hitting it big here, people -- and I'm always ready to receive bon bons and posies. Hmmmm...you know…I think I’ll help him out here a little. I’m going to do a give away – US and Canada only this time folks. (Sorry)
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Happy Times Co. – sharing their belief in the power of inspiration.
2. Amelia pendant by Zingo – elegant and flirtatious.
3. Dynamic purse by Apeyleedesigns – pretty and practical with lots of pockets.
4. Peaches & Cream cravat by Judaleah – she calls it truly cute, I call it truly gorgeous.
So, what did you love today?
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
That’s right! It’s my birthday. How will I be spending my special day? Well, since I already partied like it was 1999 (hence Sunday’s hangover post), I’m going on a shopping spree! What will I be shopping for? Oh, all kinds of great stuff: niaouli, petitgrain, ravensara….
You see, my entire family wanted me to feel extra special needed today, so they all decided to get sick last night. Aren’t they just the best?! Yep, everybody’s sick except mommy. (I guess I should count my blessings, there’s nothing worse than being sick and having to be mom to a bunch of sickies.) So, I’m putting on the lab coat and working up an antiviral potion today.
An antiviral treatment is something that’s been on The List for the last couple of months, so…no time like the present. Of course, the potion will eventually end up in the shop. I may even conduct a trial, so if you’re interested in playing guinea pig, leave me a comment with your email address. I don’t know if it’ll be a free trial yet – some of the ingredients are crazy expensive – but trials are usually offered at a greatly reduced price. I’ll get back to you on that one. In the mean time, stay well, and have a piece of cake, or a cake pop for me!
The little partier pictured at the beginning of this post is one of my takes on Bakerela’s cake pops. If you haven’t checked out Bakerela, be warned…simple cupcakes will never suffice again. We’re talking extreme cuteness and serious sweetness. They’re actually too sweet for me, but they’re a guaranteed hit at any party.
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Today's blog was going to be about some of the new products I'm working on for the shop. I've got some great things in the works and I'm really excited to share them with you and get your feedback. But, since last night's stupidity has left me even stupider today, you get a post about hangovers. Who knows, it may come in handy for you someday - although I wouldn't wish my current condition on anyone. OK, well, maybe I'd wish it on that lady who accosted me in the grocery store parking lot last week because she didn't like my driving - but I wouldn't wish it on anyone else.
Remedy #1 - Bananas. Eating bananas replenishes all the potassium you peed out while you were binge drinking. The problem with this is that bananas make me gag, and well...I don't need to do any more gagging right now. Blech!
Remedy #2 - Eggs. Eggs contain large amounts of cysteine, the substance that breaks down the hangover-causing toxins in the liver. Excuse me while I scramble up an egg or two....
OK, I'm back. That was tasty.
Remedy #3: Water. Duh!
Remedy #4: Sports drinks. They replace all those electrolytes that went down the toilet last night. Again, duh! And I already did that and it's not working fast enough.
Remedy #5: Fruit juice. Fructose, the sugars found in fruit replenish the body's energy supply and also get rid of the toxins that build up as your body metabolizes alcohol. Excuse me while I take a potty break -- all this rehydrating is...well, you get the picture.
Whew! That's better.
Remedy #6: Aspirin. Not tylenol, not ibuprofen -- just plain old aspirin. Aspirin is a non-caffeinated pain reliever (caffeine is dehydrating, so you definitely don't want that.) It's also a prostaglandin inhibitors. High levels of prostaglandin have been associated with increased hangover severity. Excuse me while I scour the medicine cabinet for some aspirin.
Ugh! All I had was some BC Powder - that was disgusting! Whose bright idea was it to pour crushed up aspirin on your tongue?! Need water!
Remedy #7: Abstinence. NOW you tell me!
Here's hoping you're feeling better today than I am.
Sunday, January 10, 2010
I’m not accepting responsibility for it. I know I have a problem, but it’s not my fault. I know just where to put the blame. I’m placing it squarely on the cyber-shoulders of a little website most of us know and love. That’s right, I’m blaming ETSY!
Unfortunately, it wasn’t all possible in the time allotted. Oh well, I had a good time with it anyway. And nobody really wanted to read that boring Year-In-Review letter or look at another picture of my kids all dressed in red anyway. I just hope I can take a few lessons away from this passed handmade holiday season into the next.
So, how were your holidays? Did you make it a handmade Christmas? If so, do you have any time management tips for me? I’m all ears!
Oh yeah, and as for you, Etsy...yes, I’m still under your spell. Pretty sure I'm hooked for life.